Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Team in Training ... Part 2

As you've probably heard or read about, I had such an amazing experience with Team in Training as I prepared for the Denver Half Marathon. I had started off the season with the intent to run a full marathon but needed to adjust my goals mid-way during the season which is why I ran the half marathon last weekend. Well, I still have "running a marathon" on my "Life List" (aka my Bucket List) and I can't imagine doing it alone or without the love and support of Team in Training so I've signed up for another round. In fact, my mentor Jim has such a huge impact on my experience that I want to be able to have the same impact on future participants. Finding a cure for blood cancers and participating with Team in Training has become such a passion of mine that I know I can be such a positive influence on other people. I may not be the "super" runner that the current mentors and coaches are but I have such a positive energy and can really relate with those "brand new" runners because it was a position that I was in just 5 months ago. With all that said, I've signed up to be a mentor for the Winter/Spring Run/Walk team and I am so excited! We start training November 21 and I'm excited to meet the new group of runners and to keep up my running program. Despite the fact that I think it's going to be a very nasty winter (in fact, I'm writing this during our 5th snow of the season and it's not even November yet!), I am really excited to keep running. In fact, our new coach Ben (one of last season's captains) said that he will not allow me to train for another half marathon - it's time that I cross that full marathon off my list. I already have a great running base that I can keep building on so that running the full marathon will be "easier". I'm nervous - I've seen how hard it can be and how much effort it takes but there is no better time to do it than right now ... and I'm going to have the great support of the team again! Knowing that other people are looking up to me and relying on me is going to be even more inspiration for me to push harder.

Now I can say ... Nashville Country Music Marathon in April ... bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment