Wednesday, June 3, 2009

National Running Day



Today is National Running Day. It's a day designed to promote running as a healthy, easy and accessible form of exercise. A lot of cities across the country had large races and events going on during the day but there wasn't anything going on here in the Springs. I was still determined to participate in the day, how could I not since I'm training for a marathon. I put on my running shoes and set out for the treadmill at the gym. A mile and a half later (I splurged a bit past my training for the day), I reluctantly turned off the Alternate Routes on my iPod and felt good about being part of National Running Day. Maybe next year I'll do something a bit bigger ...

My main goal of going to the gym was so that I could go to a "Twilight Yoga" class - nothing sounded more spectacular than an hour and a half of yoga to me today! My body was tense and sore and I had been stressing out this week with some personal issues and I totally needed an extended class at the end of the day to stretch and relax. The class was amazing. My personal jury is still out on yoga sometimes about it being a real workout but I left last night feeling the best I had in a long time. I'm going to continue to mix in yoga with my running/training plan because it truly is the perfect compliment. It feels great to be able to stretch out ALL of my muscles and relax and reflect on what I'm going through with the training. Ending the session with the leader releasing the tension in my neck and massaging my forehead ... perfection!

And on a positive note, the sun finally came out today! :)

Daily miles: 1.5
Total miles: 22

No comments:

Post a Comment